Tuesday, April 15, 2008

So Much To Do, Yet So Little Time!!!!

My time in Barcelona is quickly coming to an end, but I still feel like I have so much to see and have been experiencing many new things.

The most recent and probably most exciting is our trip to the Sagrada Familia with a special tour by the architect behind its current progress. His father worked alongside the famous Antonio Gaudi and the continuous progress on the Sagrada Familia is in his blood. We learned about how his design for a majority of the building was based off of his study of a parabola. This understanding of a parabola came into the building through the need for light in the space, so the ceilings where designed with these different sized parabolas and were they create an awkward space between them is where he placed his twisted column. When it even comes to the children’s school right out front he implemented the design of the parabolic shape. As we entered the restricted area for workers only, we were presented with special visitor badges and hard hats, I felt very official and “V.I.P.” in the words of Hawra. We were able to go up on to the high catwalks and thanks to EJ we got nice souvenir of pieces of rebar and building tiles, which will be going into a trophy case and put up high in my room saying, “Tile form the Sagrada Familia…..the reason why it might fall”. It’s crazy to think that this building is only 60% done and the tallest part is yet to start its high climb into the sky. After an amazing tour and a quick goodbye we were off to tackle the rest of our days.

I am having an amazing time, but I find myself missing home more and more everyday; till I finally see my beautiful niece, Isabella, and see my family and good friends. I have loved Barcelona and will being coming back very soon, but I feel home is calling!

No comments: