Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Fes "Take Everything, But Leave Nothing"

Fes has been a place I never thought I would go. As I learned more about its culture and architecture I realize that this would be a trip that would change my perspective forever. Since returning to Barcelona from Fes I have learned that this is true, but not in the way I originally thought. I thought that it would be a dangerous place that would not have any respect for people coming in to there country and touring. In reality the life was much different, people seem to want to be around you if it was to bargain items or to just talk to you.

The weather was beautiful and the sights were amazing; as we took a tour bus to our dar my eyes were glued to the unique style of architecture that was appearing every direction I looked. Pulling up to our dar and bit of worry came over me because we were getting out in an area that at first glance seem to be a very run down area with a lot of locals surrounding us. This feeling finally subsided when i walked into our dar which seem to be more like a palace. The tile work and the hidden beauty of the space was more then i ever expected. Getting our rooms after a bit of mint tea seem to be the beginning of a fantastic frenzy as people started to run from room to room and balcony to balcony trying to get a hold on the building in a matter of minutes. We slowly calmed ourselves down and meet our tour guide for the next few days, Mo Mo...what a name! Later in our day we found out that he must have known 1 out of 10 people in the city which must have had a few million people in it and we quickly learned this when people would stop whatever they were doing just to say a few words to him and people in cars would slow down to do the same.

The next few days seem to be a blur of traveling down tight alleyways, seeing beautiful riads and dars, observing the design process of making pottery and fabrics, and getting into places that we wouldn't have been allowed without Mo Mo. 4 days into our trip we went to the Middle Atlas where i found what the meaning of life was...to feed and pet a monkey even though it got mad at me for petting it and I was smacked by it, but it was worth it, how many people can say they were smacked by a monkey....not many.

Thank You Morocco!!!!!!!

No comments: