Saturday, April 19, 2008

Homeless Culture Conclusion!!!

To start I would like to restate the questions that I proposed at the beginning of this great adventure:
1) Why do the homeless people in Barcelona chose certain places to sit and beg for money with which to live?
2) Why does it seem like there is a specific nationality to those people, i.e., Middle Eastern?
3) How do people react to them asking for money or just sitting there waiting for a handout?
4) Why do some react as though it's more of a scam then a honest and true asking for money?
5) Where they chose to sleep and how the weather might affect there sleeping location?
6) What do they get out of the trash when they are digging through it?

I have started to answer most of these as I go along, but for the sake of quick understanding I have decided to create this final blog on the culture. I finally feel like I understand it well enough to give an adequate summary.

I found that people choose specific locations around Barcelona for the same reason that they do anywhere else in the world, which is because certain places give a higher amount of money then others. Next, there is more homeless culture that is Middle East because they have seem to move across all of Europe working together as a large group and they seem to be doing well. Third people respond more generously to those that sit there and put on a sad, hopeless face because it makes you feel pity for them and want to offer them more money.

You will find that the true homeless people will be with their stuff at all time and those that you see repeatedly over time getting worse or dirtier. Those that do have all there stuff with them you will notice that they sleep down closer to the water front in doorways and under covered overhangs of buildings away from people that might bother them. I finally figured out that the people looking though the trash are actually not homeless people, but they are just common people that are looking to get anything useful out of it to use or to sell to make money. Finally, the things that I have noticed people taking out of the trash the most are furniture pieces and used clothing.

It has been an amazing time focusing my extra studies on this topic because I feel I have grown with understanding and love for those that are actually homeless and what they have to go through. It is something that most people can’t even imagine having to do to simply survive. I will always be praying for them. Love Life, Live Love!!!

No comments: