Thursday, February 28, 2008

Homeless Culture of Barcelona

As i have been walking around the city, one thing has caught my eye more then anything else and that has been the activities and habits of poor homeless people. I was so moved by how they lived here compared to DC.

My feelings caused me to Fast for two reasons....first i wanted to know how it might feel to not have the freedom to eat to fuel my body and understand how this would affect my life in every aspect. As i walked by them i felt their pain just from looking at them and seeing how they lived. They would do things i would never do such as looking through the trash just to find anything they could, so with this i wanted to Fast, also, to take the money i would have spend on myself to eat and give it to them so that they would be able to. I Fasted from February 18th to February 22nd, which consisted of not eating from sun up to sun down. This type of Fast would give them money from my breakfast and lunch.

I must admit that it wasn't a easy thing to do. I would come and sit in studio and see others eat and think about it, but then i realized that is something homeless people so; they would walk the streets and see people in restaurants and would want to eat, but economically couldn't.

In my next two months in Barcelona i would like to take time out of my work and sight seeing to start to answer a few person questions of my own:
1) Why do the people chose certain places to sit to try and get money to live off of?
2) Why does it seem like there is a specific nationality to the people (Middle East)?
3) How do people react to them asking for money or just sitting there waiting for the money?
4) Why do some seem like its more of a scam then a censer asking?
5) Where they chose to sleep during different weather conditions?
6) What they seem to get out of the trash when they are looking?
7) What is the most common thing for them to find in the trash?
...and other questions that might build off of them.

No comments: